Gemeente Toerisme Houthalen-Helchteren

Sint-Catharina chapel

Lillosteenweg, Lillo 17th century

Judging by the wall anchors, the late Gothic chapel was built or renovated in 1617. In 1750 the chapel partly burnt down. The single nave chapel with polygonal chancel is made of bricks but the underside is cemented. It is oriented, which means it is East-facing, as a symbol of the resurrection.

 A particularity:

The 17th century Baroque portico altar is made of marbled wood.

The typical Kempen long front farmstead owned by the Claes family and the Sint-Catharina chapel together form the oldest core of Lillo and is listed as a protected village.

 

Share this page